Fare thee well, Asa!
Mr. Asamoah Gyan, you have awakened my writing muses once again. Over the weekend you were trending on twitter, and as a follower, I was hit with the news -taking an indefinite break from the Black Stars because of what you claim is incessant verbal abuse from Ghanaian soccer fans. Is that the real reason? You have been in the news within the week receiving positive reviews after your Foundation’s successful organization of the maiden Sports and Music Jamboree only to deflate this positivity with this bad one. Why? don’t you enjoy good publicity? I am however disappointment in you for taking this thought-through or not too thought-through decision. That is why I have decided to personalize this note to you. And as I write, a brother of yours (Opoku Gyan) is on air trying to justify your decision if you care to know.
Mr. Gyan, it appears you always want to be in the news. It is quite good anyway for a star or should I say celebrity? Undoubtedly, you are the most popular and talked-about Ghanaian sportsman. Your popularity has not dipped since 2008 when you threatened to quit the national team because of the same reason you are giving today. I remember I heard you say that it took the advice of Drogba at that time to bring you to your feet. What has changed this time? Were you not at the nations cup with him? You missed a penalty; he missed two. Yours was vital; his was more crucial. Have you called him to ask him if he is being vilified as well? If you have, what did he tell you?
But you see, Mr. Gyan, sometimes you compound issues for your self. Since your ‘retirement’ was made public, you have made more ‘enemies’ than you have ever had. You know why? It appears you have taken the Ghanaian for granted or to put it better, you’ve underestimated the forgiving heart of the Ghanaian soccer fan. People have started comparing your ‘mentor’ to you for the reason I have already stated. Asa, if you were an Ivorian, and you heard that just after the Ivory Coast- Zambia game, Drogba had been whisked away to London in one of Abromavich’s private jets and he’s been given a hosannaic welcome at Stanford Bridge while his colleagues were in Abidjan. Mr. Gyan how would you have reacted. Again, if you were a soccer fan and a player misses a historic kick that sends a team packing home when they would set an African record? Again, what would you have done, when this same player just after the incident launches his musical ‘career,’ and during an Afcon qualifier receives a red card, letting the team to draw at home only to be seen the same night in night clubs rapping and dancing to that song? Please tell me. Ghanaians have loved you in spite of your foibles. It takes just a good goal to win them back just as you did at Wembley. Don’t you know this?
What has happened this time with your much-touted mental fortitude? I thought this was a perfect time to prove Ghanaians wrong once again. I don’t think the family and friends who advised you to take your decision have helped you. And I know you have already regretted, at least from your latest tweets. That reminds me, why did you try justifying the cause of the penalty miss on twitter minutes after the Ghana-Zambia game? Saying something like “… I wanted to spin the ball…” It was totally uncalled for. I hope you saw the reactions you received on twitter? It was a wrong communication move, more so when most Ghanaians were fuming with rage after the defeat.
Mr. Gyan, too bad you have followed the bandwagon of temporary breaks from the Stars. It is not fashionable any longer. It is becoming one too many. This phenomenon was not known previously? Anyway every generation of players has its own culture- a culture I believe has been fueled by Mr. Nyantakyi’s administration. They have over-pampered you and your colleagues into believing that without you the team will become extinct. It started with Sulley, who in his prime threatened, and in fact retired form the team. Sammy Adjei followed suit after the 2006 world cup- a decision he is ruing. Then came Essien; Kevin followed, and now YOU!
You are old enough, Asa, to know that the team became and has become even stronger in the absence of these colleagues of yours. Do you remember the famous chorus: ‘no Sulley no Black Stars’? So do consider your decision. My admonition is simply one of concern: how will you walk back into the team? You remember Essien’s detour. He had to marshal serious PR machinery including granting an interview to then BBC’s Sanni Darra to portray his willingness to rejoin the stars. Cosmetic as it was, it was just meant as a nice strategy for his charity match few weeks later. He got the crowd he wanted.
Truthfully, Mr. Gyan, Ghana is the only place you have. Al Ain is not your home. Forget about the support they seem to give you. I pray it doesn’t happen but bear in mind that football fans are the same everywhere. You have played in England and you know. You may ask the likes of Seaman, Rooney, Beckham, Green. These players have suffered at the hands of the English press and fans. I know Beckham is relishing a comeback into their Olympic team and the Three Lions. That’s the pride of playing for one’s country. You and your ‘former’ Black Stars colleagues are who you are today because of the national team.
I don’t want to believe the impression that you are always running away from pressure. Far from it. You did not leave England because you were afraid to excel, and you are not leaving the Stars because of same. I don’t believe you don’t want to play in the 2013 Afcon. I know Hayatou is just a mess for organizing two serious competitions within a twelve month period. (I even wish no European club released their players for that tournament. What would have happened if 2013 was skipped?) And I don’t think you are quitting because the President suggested Hon. E.T was a better penalty taker? If he meant what he said, then he would gladly fill in the vacancy you have created but he can’t.
Home, I have come to learn is where you feel freest but there is no place at home. I wish you well at your UAE base anyway. We will miss your ASA!
Regards, a No. 1 Fan

Comments
Post a Comment