A Tribute to Arts: Homage to a Dr. Cann and an Odei Ampofo
My school mates wonder why a science student like me would soon develop unbridled passion for the arts. And who said I didn't like the arts then? I just didn't want to be a part of a course that had been (it still has though) marginalized. Which government is ready to make the teaching and learning of arts-related subjects at all levels of education more attractive and effective? – Kwame Dadzie, via facebook
The
quote above rekindled a long-held quagmire that I still battle with: how the
study of the arts has been marginalised in our part of the world. I know many
parents today will readily push their children to the sciences/ technical areas
of study because of the hands on skills they will acquire when they graduate.
The
debate about the importance of studying science related subjects in school as
opposed to the arts has often been touted. Haven’t we even heard in recent
times the call for universities to mount employable courses and do away with
the Classics, Political Sciences, History, and the likes? A very lame excuse
they often cite as being the cause of the high levels of unemployment in the
country!
The following are some reasons why arts
are still relevant:
- Studying Arts or Humanities
help a student develop powers of analysis and expression.
- Though the study of arts may not make you
directly employable, it prepares you for future jobs that
require good communication skills, logical reasoning and analytical
ability.
- Many employers prefer people from Humanities
background because not only do they have the ability to work independently
and analytically, but they are also experts in collecting information and
writing clearly and coherently.
- The plethora of subjects that a student gets to study under Humanities stream is huge. Subjects like Geography, Philosophy, History, Sociology, and Political Science open a wide variety of career options. (Credit: indiaeducation.net)
It is obvious that the greatest scientist,
technologist or inventor is the one who is able to communicate his ideas to
people in whatever form, just as the Greeks did. As a student of
the arts, I believe having been in this field of study has given me a massive
asset that I can readily be proud of. But this pride has not come about without
a struggle: the stigma, the marginalisation. Unlike Kwame, I had wanted to be
part of a course that was often marginalised in order to prove a point.
This
is where I will salute two of my class mates from secondary school: Francis
Cann and Joesph Amankwa Ampofo. With them in Tema Secondary School, we found
ourselves in General Arts 3 class. I joined the class late after a brief
sojourn with the science class. I was ‘compelled’ to pursue science against my
wish. Reason? I had made a number of 1s ‘in chain’ at the basic level exams so they
did not understand why I wanted to pursue arts. They wanted me to be a doctor; I
wanted to study languages and be a communication expert. After some weeks in
the science class I realised I did not belong there. I forced my way to an arts
class. I remember declaring, even at that tender age: no arts, no school (this
time not ‘vote’ -to wit Kwame Dadzie.)
My
resilience paid off, of course without a caution: if you failed the first term,
you are sacked! I took up the challenge. And I did not disgrace myself.
I
joined the Arts class for the first time in some weeks. Surprisingly I was the
only male student in the French class. I was told the other two male students
(Amankwa Ampofo and Cann) were absent for that day. I subsequently met them,
and I was glad we were all offering the same electives: English Language,
Literature in English and French. I must say this was a combination most male arts
students didn’t want to pursue. They combination was tagged ‘women electives.’
The
stigma was rife. I knew the vision I had. I was determined to achieve it. Amankwa
Ampofo had been a victim of circumstance: he wanted to pursue literature and
English, but not French because he had no previous exposure in the French
language. He wanted to Twi instead of French (as an elective), but that
combination was not available. Cann, I guess would have loved to replace
French, but with what? French was a major headache for most students in Temasco
at the time. Any way the details may be told some day by someone else. But we
soldiered on in spite of the scorn. I remember Amankwa often ridiculed as being
too ‘raw’ because he was too adept at Akwapim Twi. He even acquired the alias ‘Twi
Elective’.
In
all this, perseverance and focus paid off. Amankwa stood strong; Cann was resilient
in spite of his friends (who were all pursuing Maths, Geography and Economics).Today,
what ‘women electives’ has moulded us into cannot be gainsaid. I am proud of my
colleagues and myself. I have been able to achieve what I set my eyes on:
pursuing my languages and studying communications.
For
Amankwa Ampofo anybody who was in Temasco with us from 1994 will not be
surprised at his feat as a broadcaster. He brought something unique to the
sphere of Akan radio, with his exploits from Radio Gold to Asempa/Adom Fms.
For
Francis Cann (Dr. Cann as he is known on Radio), I am most proud of. His understanding
of his career goals from those days has turned him today as arguably a
sought-after broadcaster in the capital, and the finest entertainment presenter
in the city. Anchoring Showbiz Xtra on Happy FM on Saturdays always brings back
fond memories of those days. His passion for the arts, especially literature is
forever evident in his presentation: the use of adages and proverbs has been
his mark, and his level of appreciation/critique is adorable.
It
is indeed true that a child that aspires to own a car in future begins
inquiring about its cost even as an infant. That’s Dr. Cann’s favourite proverb
on radio. And I guess you understand why.
Comments
Post a Comment